The Good Doctor: A Review

0
958

By David Ross

“The Good Doctor” is actually a really good show, let me just start by saying that. I wasn’t sure about it at first but my girlfriend suggested it and usually, she’s good at picking shows or movies we’d both like so I gave it a chance and I’m glad I did! The show is based on the main character Shaun Murphy, a young autistic surgeon who has savant syndrome. Doctor Murphy decided to relocate from a quiet country life to join the surgical unit at the respected San Jose St. Bonaventure Hospital, a move that was strongly supported by his mentor, Dr. Aaron Glassman. After surviving a troubled childhood of family issues, the death of his rabbit and his younger brother dying during a game of tag, Shaun is alone in the world and has a hard time trying to personally connect with those around him until he finds his niche using his remarkable medical skill and intuition to save lives and challenge the disbelief of his colleagues. Bonaventure doesn’t exist in real life. San Jose is home to Good Samaritan Hospital, a family-friendly hospital that’s been named as one of the Bay Area’s best places to have a baby and I find that pretty cool because in the show Doctor Murphy is about to have a baby. They used that hospital and changed the name but I thought it was cool that in the most recent season they are including some of the hospital’s recognizable attributes. I’m kind of behind, but season four has started off pretty good so far. This show will make even the toughest people feel sentimental and then right after make you laugh out loud. The biggest lessons it teaches are not to judge someone because of deficiencies and to have an open mind and to stay positive.