The only MC I’ve known

0
838

By Elle Barrett

I think the most difficult part about school today is there are a lot of distractions aside from being in a pandemic. The technology we have today is a blessing and a curse. Because of COVID-19, we’re able to have hybrid courses, both online and in class. In my opinion, learning in a difficult way is better than not learning at all. However, since some courses are online and not easy, students see that as an obstacle and don’t want to try as hard. I find this ironic because technology appears to be our best friend with social media apps such as Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, etc., but the second we must learn using technology, it’s a whole different story.

Thinking about how COVID-19 has changed my college experience, I can’t think of anything that sticks out to me, but once I need to communicate with my professor or find it difficult to get involved on campus, my opinion changes. I don’t like not being able to see my professor’s face or classmates face. I don’t like not being able to smile at people on the sidewalk. Class isn’t scheduled as often, which is nice, but I’m ready for things to go back to normal.

Going anywhere without a mask pre-pandemic was normal. I didn’t have to question whether or not something was open/closed due to COVID-19. Making sure you had a ticket to a sporting event on campus was not normal. You could just pay and walk-in. Now since there’s limited seating, tickets need to be ordered to make sure you have a spot in the stadium/gym.

Since I’m a transfer student, this is all I’ve known McPherson College to be. I think it’s difficult to interact with others and to communicate while maintaining social distancing. But I am looking forward to the day that this is all over so I can genuinely see how great McPherson College is. 

This is in response to Prompt #2 from Campus ReBoot, an interactive documentary in collaboration with the University of Hartford and other colleges and universities in the US, China, and Australia. For more information and to see other responses, please visit the Campus ReBoot website here: https://susancardillo.wixsite.com/campusreboot