Making the Switch

0
908

By: Taylor Perez

Many of us are all-too-familiar with the struggles of being a student-athlete. While at times it seems to be overwhelming, we tend to take the privilege to play sports at the collegiate level for granted. For Payten Davies, the opportunity to get back on the softball diamond was one she could not pass up. She joined us at McPherson College in 2018 to be apart of the Track and Field team, throwing javelin. “It’s a crazy long story how I ended up in McPherson, Kansas doing Track and Field,” said Davies, “but I’m very grateful for Mr. & Mrs. Coach Spies taking a chance on me and giving me the opportunity to be here.” When approached by the new head coach of the softball program Coach Tony Segovia, Payten decided to take a turn in her athletic career and return to the sport she has loved for thirteen years. “Coach Segovia asked if I was interested in playing again knowing I had taken a year and a half off, and I said yes with no hesitation.” Davies is most excited to see how the team comes together in the spring, “We’ve already had so much fun this fall, and spring only gets better because that is when all the fun happens.” The team is excited that Payten decided to join the family, and cannot wait to see what great things she will contribute.