Film Review: “Happy Death Day”

0
1056

By: Garrett Connor

Happy Death Day” is a comedic-horror movie that shows some romance throughout the story. Tree Gelbman is a college student who has to live her birthday over countless times. For most people, celebrating their birthday everyday would be enjoyable. That is not the case with Tree. Tree wakes up in a dorm bedroom of a student named Carter. Most of the time she is waking up in a panic from getting killed the night before. A masked murderer continues to follow and attack Tree every night. After she is attacked, Tree will wake up with scars from the death she experienced the night before. Tree realizes that she has to continue to relive her birthday over and over again until she can solve the mystery of who her killer is. As an avid movie fanatic, I quickly compared this movie with Groundhog Day starring Bill Murray. The two movies are very alike by the repetition of days and events that occurred during those days. Personally, I was not a very big fan of this movie. The previews made me believe that the film was an action packed horror movie, that would have me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I could not be more wrong. After the first two deaths, I found myself less intrigued on the plot. The repetition started to become old and did not keep me engaged. Also as the film continues, it becomes easier to predict when the attacks would occur. I enjoyed the ending of the film as it throws a curveball at the viewer. All in all, I would recommend this movie to a younger audience. There is very little blood in the attacks and some good comedic lines throughout the film. I would rate this film a 3.5 out of 5 stars because it had a good plot but became very repetitive and loses focus at some points.